Saturday, January 25, 2014

Going On An Airplane.

I’m not one of those people who need to run away when the weather gets cold. I don’t spend the winter months bemoaning my misfortune for having been born in a country that suffers the wrath of proper seasons. I love where I live, I find seasons to be cleansing and with each turn comes a chance for renewal. That being said, when my sister and mother asked if I wanted to go to Arizona for the week, I had been desperate for a change of scenery so I happily followed along.
Travelling post-transplant is much different than it was before the surgery. Back when I still had my CF lungs, I was on such a constant stream of potent antibiotics that I felt that I could lick public toilet seats and still live to tell the tale. My biggest worry was coughing in public and having people around me think that I was patient zero for the latest contagious international flu craze.
In order to keep my lungs happy and healthy in their new body, I’m pumped full of anti-rejection meds that keep my body good and immunosuppressed. If I had a proper immune system, my body would realize that the lungs weren’t in fact mine and attack the foreign tissue leading to severe rejection.
When I pack to go anywhere, my first and most important priority is my pills. I have a giant blue case filled with vitamins, supplements, immunosuppressants, steroids – I’m just basically a walking chemistry experiment. My first concern is whether or not I have enough to last the entirety of the trip and also a few days more in case of emergency. My pills travel carry-on with me without question, which really complicates my ability and desire to travel light.  
When I first started traveling again after transplant, I kept a small supply of hospital masks and rubber gloves in my bag that I had pilfered from hospitals during random appointments. My clinic staffs should know by this point that I get bored sitting in little rooms alone and shouldn’t be trusted. Now three years post-transplant, I gave that up and am getting better and just relaxing and rolling with the environment. Plus I would never really have the guts to wear one of those masks in public anyway.
Post-transplant, you are keenly aware of how the world is one giant mega-germ, waiting to pounce and infect you as soon as you let your guard down. I always have at least two pocket-sized hand-sanitizers on my person at all times (it helps that I carry a giant purse) and I am a compulsive hand-washer. My brain can’t help but keep a mental inventory of all the things my hands had touched between the times I can find a sink to wash and reset.
Going on planes is the worst, mentally, to have to deal with post-transplant. Maybe I lied, subways and buses are also really terrible, although those tend to be much more brief experiences so lets call it a tie. Planes are hours in an enclosed space with over a hundred of hygienically-questionably strangers. Circulated air, tiny bathrooms and the airline plays Russian Roulette with your health in assigning your seat-mate. Now I am the one worrying about being seated next to patient zero…
I always try to board last to minimize the amount of time I am forced to be in that germ incubator. When I sit down, I put my least offensive-smelling hand sanitizer in my pocket and, if I had the forethought to purchase them, I wipe down my seatbelt, tray table and armrests with travel-sized antibacterial wipes. Then I sit and hope to god I don’t get the urge to pee for the remainder of the flight.

I may be over precautious in my methods but that is the world that I live in now. I love to travel and I love seeing the world and having new experiences. My doctors always told me that they give us this surgery so that we can live our lives again and we need to weigh the precautions for ourselves so that we can still get the most out of life. I would never give up travelling, so I guess if I had to, I would wear one of those stupid masks…

No comments:

Post a Comment