Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Beginning

There is something isolating about knowing that you are different. It’s not something we have control over; we were simply born this way. From the outside, we look just like everyone else but on the inside, cystic fibrosis plays it’s coy little games with our internal organs, affecting our health and shortening our lives.

Cystic fibrosis is a disease that affects 70,000 people worldwide. Odds are that many people have heard of the disease, few people know anyone who actually has it. I had never heard of the disease when it fell out of my doctor’s mouth when I was 14. I don’t think I even spoke to another person with the disease until I was 18.

Two years later I was in university, living far away from home and feeling a need to commiserate with someone, anyone about the daily struggles of school and disease and life in general, I reached out on a random CF message board with a wry message and found exactly what I was looking for.


This is a blog about connection: two girls, born two days apart, living 2000 miles away in separate countries and the friendship that developed from the common bond of a terrible disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment